mTurk Terms & Glossary
If you are new to the forum, you may notice people using a lot of abbreviations and terms that you don't know the definition for. Here are some basic abbreviations and terms commonly used by members of the forum.
- TO – Turkopticon. A system to review requesters.
- TA - TurkAlert. A HIT notification system.
- AMT/mTurk - Shorthand ways of referring to Mechanical Turk
- QC - Quality Control. Ways requesters check your accuracy on HITs
- Batch/Batch HIT - Groups of smaller, simple tasks that pay well when you work on them as a whole.
- Soft Block - A requester uses this to prevent you from doing a specific type of HIT again. Does NOT affect account standing.
- Hard Block - A requester uses this to prevent you from working for them ever again. This affects your account standing. Get 3, and you will be banned from mTurk.
- Transcription - Listening to audio and transcribing what is said.
- General Research/Crowdsourcing
- CS - CrowdSource. One of the best known requesters on Mechanical Turk. Known for their Keyword Search and URL Ranking HITs.
- CF - CrowdFlower. Similar to CrowdSource, but with different HITs. NOTE: There is another requester with the name CF. Most of the time, when you see CF, the poster is referring to CrowdFlower
- MC - MedCrowd. Well known for their Collect Medical Information HITs.
- RNR - ProductRNR, a commonly worked requester.
- CW - CastingWords
- RW - Redwood
- SI - SpeechInk
- CT - ClariTrans
All four transcription requesters have different specifications. Be sure to read the instructions and provide what they want.
Written by Cowfin
Thanks to : abrahamrohithroy, Kris, leelu, Moutheater, and RWStein for contributing.