Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: new program: mturk tray

User
    Thanks

I have just created version 1.22 available from http://mturktools.com/mturk_tray.php

Changes:

• there is now 40 favorite hits instead of 15
    • you can now delay checking for a favorite hit until a given future date
    • recent favorite hits will be listed in green on the Favorite HITs window, < 15 min
    • posting a HIT to a forum has been completlely revamped and should now be much more reliable
    • a new program version is checked for from the website upon launch
    • the message input on the About windows now correctly word wraps
    • known issue: the Assigned HITs functionalty is still sporadically buggy and is being worked on

2. Thanks: (2)
    Thanks

It should be noted that the program is loading adfly links in the background as well. There is a very small disclaimer to that effect on the webpage, but I only found out after looking through my IE web history.

Not too happy to find that out. I know in the past adfly has had issues with serving malicious content in their ads.

4. Thanks: (1)
    User
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tawalu View Post
    It should be noted that the program is loading adfly links in the background as well. There is a very small disclaimer to that effect on the webpage, but I only found out after looking through my IE web history.

Not too happy to find that out. I know in the past adfly has had issues with serving malicious content in their ads.
    OP here. I have never heard of them serving up malicious ads. I am a fairly new adf.ly user and simply got the idea from HWTF. I thought it was a good idea to help defray hosting hosts. Is the general concensus that adf.ly is bad, buy other advertising OK? I am fine ditching it, if it is going to stop users from running the program. Would you be OK with another form of ads? I am open to suggestions. Would Google Adsense be aceptable? Do you think a Paypal Donate link would be better?

As far as 'small disclaimer', I think this is a bit unfair. The text font size is no different than anything else on the page. To me, I feel like this is clearly stated on the web site. I never intended to mislead anyone. But I would like to hear from a few others on this subject.

-John
    Last edited by jft222; 04-21-2013 at 10:12 AM.

6. Thanks: (1)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jft222 View Post
    OP here. I have never heard of them serving up malicious ads. I am a fairly new adf.ly user and simply got the idea from HWTF. I thought it was a good idea to help defray hosting hosts. Is the general concensus that adf.ly is bad, buy other advertising OK? I am fine ditching it, if it is going to stop users from running the program. Would you be OK with another form of ads? I am open to suggestions. Would Google Adsense be aceptable? Do you think a Paypal Donate link would be better?

As far as 'small disclaimer', I think this is a bit unfair. The text font size is no different than anything else on the page. To me, I feel like this is clearly stated on the web site. I never intended to mislead anyone. But I would like to hear from a few others on this subject.

-John
    I wasn't intending any offense with my post, I was just a little upset that your original post here didn't mention the adf.ly bit and I only discovered it after seeing my IE browser history.

One of the issues with the way the program is using adf.ly is that is actually going against their TOS. adf.ly links are only supposed to be used to redirect people to sites they requested. For example, if when the user clicked the browser button it sent them through adf.ly to take them to the HIT results page that would be acceptable in the TOS. Instead it serves links to random content the user didn't request, twitter, WSJ, reddit, etc. There's also some other bits there in the TOS it violates.

I completely understand trying to recoup costs. Using adsense on your website, or having the download link going through adf.ly, or a donate button are all acceptable. My main issue is just that the program is loading ads in the background without any real indication of what is happening. The program once downloaded also doesn't cost you any money other than with updates. I'm not sure there needs to be a constant source of money from the program once the user has it.

I also don't know how the invisible IE windows are being closed out or handled, and that makes me a little uncomfortable that links to unknown sites are loading in the background.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 927 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tawalu View Post
    I wasn't intending any offense with my post, I was just a little upset that your original post here didn't mention the adf.ly bit and I only discovered it after seeing my IE browser history.

One of the issues with the way the program is using adf.ly is that is actually going against their TOS. adf.ly links are only supposed to be used to redirect people to sites they requested. For example, if when the user clicked the browser button it sent them through adf.ly to take them to the HIT results page that would be acceptable in the TOS. Instead it serves links to random content the user didn't request, twitter, WSJ, reddit, etc. There's also some other bits there in the TOS it violates.

I completely understand trying to recoup costs. Using adsense on your website, or having the download link going through adf.ly, or a donate button are all acceptable. My main issue is just that the program is loading ads in the background without any real indication of what is happening. The program once downloaded also doesn't cost you any money other than with updates. I'm not sure there needs to be a constant source of money from the program once the user has it.

I also don't know how the invisible IE windows are being closed out or handled, and that makes me a little uncomfortable that links to unknown sites are loading in the background.
    This almost seems like "Adware"...
    Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/andylaws

User
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    This almost seems like "Adware"...
    This is really not my intention. I will make some changes and post a new version.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 927 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jft222 View Post
    This is really not my intention. I will make some changes and post a new version.
    Thanks for your quick response to the feedback provided here.

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/andylaws

Thanks

This sounds like a good program to have, any chance of a Linux version coming out?

User
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Musical_life View Post
    This sounds like a good program to have, any chance of a Linux version coming out?
    No. The programming language is very specific to Windows.

User
    Thanks

With version 1.28, am happy to announce:

Adfly ads have been 100% removed.

In it's place is a Paypal donation link.

I have:

1) sent an email to users explaining the situation asking them to upgrade, along with the URL link to the thread
    2) completely removed the adfly ad components from the source code

I really like the program and find it very helpful. It is my hopes that others will think the same and also like using it.

http://mturktools.com/mturk_tray.php

-John
    Last edited by jft222; 04-21-2013 at 10:21 PM.

14. Thanks: (3)
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast