Want to earn a quick $5? Send me a PM - TurkingBear
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How to Get a Master's Qualification

User
    Thanks

Default How to Get a Master's Qualification

I see this question come up often, and the basic answer seems a little obvious to me.

Mturk is basically interested in data entry. Data entry with a bit of savvy and expertise added.

I see people talk about 100,000 HITs over a year with 99% accuracy, and wonder why they can't get a Masters.

Getting a masters is all about data entry. Accurate data entry. Extremely proficient data entry.

You have to do 1000 HITs a day over and over again to get it.

You say you've done 100 HITs a day for a year with 99% accuracy? You won't get it.

Furthermore, a Master's is task oriented. You get it for doing certain tasks (categorization, photos, etc). You then get universal privileges. You probably also have to do a lot of other jobs to show your versatility.

The bottom line -- if you aren't a batch worker (a hard core batch worker who'll do 1000 or more of these a day, you probably won't get a Master's). You have to do this everyday for a long time before you get considered.

One other thing -- I'm not sure requestors who don't tend to reject (Crowdflower, e.g) matter much in this.

User
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,009 Times in 2,039 Posts

I think you might be wrong.

There's several people that only had 6,500 HITs approved when they received it, and I know two that did less than 100 HITs a day.

Do you have masters?

3. Thanks: (1)
    User
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,728 Times in 1,490 Posts

Lies.

-MTurk Master

5. Thanks: (2)
    zingy

Quote Originally Posted by ms61853 View Post
    I see this question come up often, and the basic answer seems a little obvious to me.

Mturk is basically interested in data entry. Data entry with a bit of savvy and expertise added.

I see people talk about 100,000 HITs over a year with 99% accuracy, and wonder why they can't get a Masters.

Getting a masters is all about data entry. Accurate data entry. Extremely proficient data entry.

You have to do 1000 HITs a day over and over again to get it.

You say you've done 100 HITs a day for a year with 99% accuracy? You won't get it.

Furthermore, a Master's is task oriented. You get it for doing certain tasks (categorization, photos, etc). You then get universal privileges. You probably also have to do a lot of other jobs to show your versatility.

The bottom line -- if you aren't a batch worker (a hard core batch worker who'll do 1000 or more of these a day, you probably won't get a Master's). You have to do this everyday for a long time before you get considered.

One other thing -- I'm not sure requestors who don't tend to reject (Crowdflower, e.g) matter much in this.
    This is how you get masters

7. Thanks: (12)
    User
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seaboardavenue View Post
    I think you might be wrong.

There's several people that only had 6,500 HITs approved when they received it, and I know two that did less than 100 HITs a day.

Do you have masters?
    No, I don't have. I only observe.

I'm not trying to argue. I have no idea why the choices are made.

I think I am right in what I said

User
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ms61853 View Post
    No, I don't have. I only observe.

I'm not trying to argue. I have no idea why the choices are made.

I think I am right in what I said
    OK. Maybe those other people are just an exception or something.

10. Thanks: (1)
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,279 Times in 2,449 Posts

12. Thanks: (8)
    User
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seaboardavenue View Post
    OK. Maybe those other people are just an exception or something.

Yes, they are absolutely an exception. Of course, anyone who got a Master's qual after 6500 some odd HITs is free to chime in.

(Geez folks, can possibly dispense with the dumb ass graphics? I mean, my 7 year old daughter finds that interesting... I'm just sayin')

Thanks

I think saying you need to do a lot of hits per day for X amount of time is a good theory, however I doubt it's 1000, I've never seen someone screenshot their dashboard after getting masters who does over 1000/day, usually it's between 3-500/day for a week or two at a time.

And RE: people putting up stupid responses, I think everyone's just tired of seeing the Master's discussion rehashed every other day when no one knows any information for sure. Still, they're expressing their annoyance in a very immature way, ignore them.

15. Thanks: (2)
    User
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TurtleTape View Post
    I think saying you need to do a lot of hits per day for X amount of time is a good theory, however I doubt it's 1000, I've never seen someone screenshot their dashboard after getting masters who does over 1000/day, usually it's between 3-500/day for a week or two at a time.

And RE: people putting up stupid responses, I think everyone's just tired of seeing the Master's discussion rehashed every other day when no one knows any information for sure. Still, they're expressing their annoyance in a very immature way, ignore them.
    And this same guy has started another thread a few months ago about a different theory to getting masters. It's getting old.

No one knows how to get it. And if you think you do, try it out and then let us know in a few months if you have it or not.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast