Want to earn a quick $5? Send me a PM - Cowfin
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do people make so much on mTurk?

Thanks

Default How do people make so much on mTurk?

I don't get it!! I've been turking since 7/3/13 and I've only made like 37 bucks, while I see that other people post, saying that they make that much or even more in just a day....

I do surveys but it usually takes me a while just to even get ONE done....I've tried transcribing audio, but that takes me forever and I'm not willing to pay for Express Scribe.

How do people do this? I need tips. A little push here. I just don't get it!

Thanks
    Thanked 29,753 Times in 10,102 Posts

You barely started. I doubt you even have enough hits under your belt to get some of the better stuff.

You also are slow. Get faster.

"The wolves attend to their task. They are here to hunt. The bear lets them go; he's in no hurry. But as soon as the wolves have accomplished a kill, he's suddenly quick on the scene. [...] The wolves must simply bide their time, and wait for him to leave." - me & the forum

3. Thanks: (2)
    Thanks

I'm definitely not the best person to give advice here because I'm also fairly new (I've only made slightly over $230 since I started on June 26), but I can offer some observations that I've made personally.

The people who are making larger amounts likely aren't doing so casually. When they click into a HIT, they do so looking to get in and out as quickly as possible while still completing the task well (it's no good/not worth doing if you get rejected after all). Surveys are the same as everything else in this regard. Basically, it seems like people who claim the higher numbers are on most of the day, grinding away at HITs (a few days ago, I think that was another user named Zingy's advice (to grind HITs) to someone with a similar question to yours).

As the bear already mentioned, it's also about the number of HITs you've had approved. I'm still just a bit under 1000, but there's a noticeable change after you reach certain milestones. At first, you don't qualify for much of the good stuff because people want want workers with a certain percentage of approved HITs, but that's the easiest/quickest one to get past. Then, you notice a lot of people want workers with more than 50, 100, 500, 1000, etc. HITs approved. Every time you cross a threshold, more and more tasks are available to you (and generally each one leads to some better tasks - people paying more don't want to have as much risk).

I think it ultimately comes down to how much effort you're willing to put into it. I've personally had days where I've decided to spend a certain amount of time just doing as much as I can without much distraction, and those have been my best days so far. (I don't have the grinding mentality/discipline some people have though - my best day has only been $30 over the course of a few hours.)

It might also be worth noting that I've had four days since the 7th where I stayed under $5. That's partially because of a lot outside distraction on my end, but there also seemed to be fewer worthwhile HITs on those days.

5. Thanks: (3)
    Thanks

The key is getting in on good qualifications that are open for a short period of time. Some requesters will issue a limited number of qualifications, and then close them and not allow any more workers. Once you have a bunch of closed quals, there is better work and less competition for it. Take a look at HITs from Jack Stone, Jonathan Ledger, John Gaddy, Two Lakes Research and Product Listings for example.

Finding the quals is often a matter of being in the right place at the right time. You can increase your chances by joining some of the forums that are frequented by requesters, and searching the term "qual" in mturk to find qualification HITs.

7. Thanks: (1)
    User
    Thanks

It is also about finding hits that are worth your time. If you find a hit that is for $0.05, but takes 3 minutes then you are cheating yourself out of money. You have to find hits that will pay you a decent amount for your time and that can be hard until you have reached 1000 hits.

9. Thanks: (1)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 770 Posts

As greygirl mentioned, it's all about picking the right HITs to do. Aim for $.10 per minute return on the work you do. That means if a survey takes 5 minutes, it should pay $.50. For batch HITs, if they pay $.02 per HIT, you better be able to do 5 per minute (1 every 12 seconds). If the pay per minute is any worse, you should probably not do the work.

Watch the daily Great HITs thread for people posting good paying HITs. Use turkalert and Page Monitor/Check 4 Change to monitor the requesters you like. Check other resources on the web for mturk HITs. Make sure to use Turk Opticon if you are testing our new requesters and check their ratings.

Summer time seems to be slow, so this is a tougher time than normal. The most active time for HITs to be posted is 8am-6pm eastern or so.

The more work you put in, the more you will get out of it.
    New to mTurk? Click here!

I have a fear of speed bumps, but I'm slowly getting over it.

11. Thanks: (1)
    Thanks

thank you guys!

Thanks

But one other question:

Do people really have to spend a lot of time on mTurk to make so much money and to get so many HIT's done?
    Don't people have other things to do and take care of, such as friends and family?

Iíll have the milk steak Charlie Turkelly's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,266 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xxeliza321xx View Post
    But one other question:

Do people really have to spend a lot of time on mTurk to make so much money and to get so many HIT's done?
    Don't people have other things to do and take care of, such as friends and family?
    I think the same could be asked of any job though. It's all about personal priorities and a work/life balance that is good for you personally.

Thanks
    Thanked 29,753 Times in 10,102 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xxeliza321xx View Post
    But one other question:

You are making it sound like we are on 24/7. Do you have a job? How much does that take away from you? How long is your commute?

Understand that there is nothing holding you back and nothing going to persuade you to start either. This is all based on your efforts.

"The wolves attend to their task. They are here to hunt. The bear lets them go; he's in no hurry. But as soon as the wolves have accomplished a kill, he's suddenly quick on the scene. [...] The wolves must simply bide their time, and wait for him to leave." - me & the forum

16. Thanks: (2)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast