Want to earn a quick $5? Send me a PM - Cowfin

Thread: Canadians banned from being workers?

User
    Thanks

Default Canadians banned from being workers?

Hi there,

I'm from Canada (and on a Canadian IP) and just heard of mturk a couple days ago. I went to the website and registered an account with my basic information, and got the following response back.

<----
    We have completed our review of your Amazon Mechanical Turk Worker Account. We regret to inform you that you will not be permitted to work on Mechanical Turk.

Our account review criteria are proprietary and we cannot disclose the reason why an invitation to complete registration has been denied.
    ---->

I just don't understand it. It doesn't seem like there's anything proprietary that they cannot disclose. It's my first time ever on their site and all I provided was my name and email (which matched my name). So they have my name, email, and Canadian IP.

The only thing I can find online is that mturk is banning Indians from signing up due to the quality of work. Is this the same case with Canada or something? It just seems like either there's a lot of discrimination, or they're not accepting new signups all together?

Either way, it's kind of silly because the email makes it look like I did something wrong, which I haven't. Anyone have any idea on what's going on?

Thanks

I think Amazon stopped accepting new workers from Canada, I could be wrong though.

3. Thanks: (1)
    JFH
    User
    Thanks

One other thing too... You think if they didn't want Canadians, or Indians, or even that they weren't accepting new "turkers" anywhere that they wouldn't allow people to waste their time by signing up.

Also their "review" took nearly 2 days, which I would think means that they someone actually manually reviewed my registration. If they're not accepting new users, why would they do this... and if don't want Canadians or people from India, why not just have it automatically rejected based on their IP? Why would someone need to "review" the account unless I'm doing something wrong?

It's just so crazy to think about for me. The only thing I could think of which would maybe make sense, but been even more incredibly crazy is if they have someone review the new signup and they do lookups on their email address on Facebook to see if it comes up with a real profile matching their name or something. I have my settings turned off to disable lookup via email address. But I mean that would be a good reason not to disclose as to why it's rejected, and usually if someones name appears on Facebook and they have 1000 friends or something, then the are pretty legit in terms of who they say they are. I dunno.

User
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RalphWaldoPicklechips View Post
    I think Amazon stopped accepting new workers from Canada, I could be wrong though.
    Thank you for the response. I think you're correct. Just found this other post.

showthread.php?3874-Not-Permitted-to-work-on-Mechanical-Turk

abrahamrohithroy wrote "Yes. It IS because you're from Canada. Amazon is not allowing users outside of US to join mTurk right now."

But yeah, still doesn't make sense as to why they would allow Canadians to sign up and waste their time, or have a 2 day "review" just to say send an email declining. It sure is easy to have coding on their website that automatically checks what country they're from and then tells them that they are not allowed to be a worker being from that location. Or even once they've registered, having it declined right away via script that checks their IP. But my guess is they don't want people to know that they are discriminating against Canadians, etc.

User
    Thanks

And this is directly from the mturk FAQ.
    <---
    Q: Who completes the tasks on Amazon Mechanical Turk and how do they complete them?
    Virtually anyone can complete tasks on the Amazon Mechanical Turk web site using the skills they already have and according to their own schedule. The only requirements to complete tasks and collect payment from Requesters is a computer connected to the Internet and to be at least 18-years-old.
    --->

Which is totally not true!

"Virtually anyone can complete tasks" - It should say, as long as you're in the united states.